Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Manhattan as I see it.

I have seen Manhattan, New York three times in a decade now.  The first time when I taught at the University of Rhode Island in Fall, 1999. I came on a field trip (not my class but some other) from URI with various students whom I did not know.  At the moment we disembarked from the bus to the buzzling Rockefeller Plaza, it was love at first sight.  We went there to spend just one whole day to be a live audience in the show 'The Daily Show' and before that I had a chance to roam around the 5th Av.  I felt magic just walking around the studio of NBC at the Rockefeller Plaza where people suddenly would scream to find out later that a movie star/idol passed by.  I also had my very brief chance to glance at the then Vice President Al Gore who stood right out of the skyline mirror window of his limousine and waved at the shrieking crowd.  I saw the unbelievable Philippine Consul there which made me very proud to be a Filipino since as far as I know, no other country has an embassy in such a flashy place. The Radio City which I only saw in movies and tv shows.  The various signature products from clothing to perfume were all there.  It was too much to see and too little time.  I said to myself that someday I will explore this place in detail.
               Then in 2007 I came again in winter.  I braved the freezing temperature to be there in Manhattan a few days in a row.  I saw Times Square with all its neon lights, shopped in Macy's, Modells and other places, sat in various parks.  I did not enter any museum since at the entrance it said no camera allowed; I did not not want to leave my camera at the entrance.  Also, I thought an entrance fee was required.  The same thing I thought about St. Patrick Cathedral.  Now, I had a chance to walk inside the famous Central Park.
               This year, I have had the chance of experiencing my first springtime and perhaps summer in New York.  Thanks to Facebook that I met again my long lost classmate in UPLB, Edwin, who toured me in places in Manhattan where I've never been before.  These were Brooklyn heights, Grand Central, Wall Street, Chinatown etc.  But I must say that when summer approaches, Manhattan looses its magic in me.  This must be because people are now in their skimpiest attire such as shorts and flipflops that it could be that fashion might have something to do with the magic as I perceive it.  And now, I just realized that the No Camera allowed sign is just a policy not followed at all in museum and also at St. Patrick Cathedral.  And that the entrance fees at the Museum of the Arts is just a recommendation.  The whole point in this blog article is to say that Manhattan is an endless surprise to all visitors. Too many attractions in too little time.  The feeling of magic is in the air, some of it would be lost and some would emerge.  I am looking forward to having another tour this Sunday with my long time college classmate Edwin.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment