Monday, May 9, 2011

The Big Guava Tree

Whenever I see a big guava fruit (now named guapple), I am reminded of my high school days.  I studied in Quirino High School in Project 3, Quirino District, Quezon City in Metro Manila.  I also spent a good deal of my childhood in these areas.  Most of my classmates live near the school which includes my classmate Benjamin Ramos who live in Acacia Street (if my memory serves me right).  They have a big guava tree welcoming everybody in their very nice residence there.  Now that I'm reminiscing it, I can't help by salivate over the thought of a nicely sliced guava dipped in Ilocano vinegar and sprinkled with salt. I don't remember now the name of the vinegar but it is comparable to the red wine vinegar I usually use in my cooking nowadays.  Ben's place is THE place for all 10 male high school classmates saved one who did not really socialize much with us.  It is the place where I drank my first alcoholic drink, the place where I drank to unconsciousness and the place where bets were placed during the 'Thrilla in Manila' days.  I always associate Ben's place with the guava with vinegar and salt.  It was such a wonderful memory that I always cherish up to this day.  Thanks to Ben and to her family who always welcomed visitors in their home, not to mention the countless sleepovers that took place there.

No comments:

Post a Comment